I might not have shared this before, but sometimes I get lots of worries. My mom and dad found someone to help teach me some tools that could help me. This last week was my graduation from this program I did with a therapist named Lisa who helps kids who are worriers. For my graduation session she made me a certificate which proved and showed what I had accomplished and achieved. She also made me these gluten free and dairy free chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting. I had been working on controlling my anxiety and not overreacting. Although it was hard to react normally to how good these cupcakes looked like they were going to be!
There were two reasons why I didn’t jump into the box and eat all five cupcakes in 1.2 seconds. The first one was that I was not sure if my dad would let me because I was a little sick, and the second one is that I could save one for my blog post and/or the movie we were going to watch that night for family movie night – Harry Potter And The Prisoners Of Askaban. I had remembered as the credits were rolling that we were supposed to get the cupcakes after the movie. I asked my mom if I could have it then and she said yes.
As she was taking it out of the box my tummy said “Gimme!” as I lunged forward and snatched the wrapper. Mmmm! The frosting was gooey and the delicate chocolate cake part blended in with the vanilla taste.
I devoured it.
One thing I hate about taking pictures of food is it stops me from chowing down immediately!!! My mom asked Lisa for the recipe to share with you. Try the recipe and tell me what you think!
- 1 1/2 C. gluten free all purpose flour blend
- 1/2 C. cocoa powder
- 1 C. brown sugar
- 1 ¼ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 C. non-dairy milk like almond or soy
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- ½ C. olive oil
- 2 T applesauce
- 1 T white vinegar or Apple Cider vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg (1 T. flaxseed meal, ground or milled + 3 T. hot water)
- 3 C. confectioners sugar
- ⅓ C. vegan butter
- 4 T. non-dairy milk like almond or soy
- 4 T. cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift flour & cocoa powder into mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar, baking soda & salt.
- In separate dish, make flax egg by mixing 1 T ground/milled flaxseed + 3 T hot water & allow to sit for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Mix in non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, olive oil, applesauce & vinegar.
- Mix in flax egg.
- Whisk until batter is pretty smooth.
- Pour batter into 12-cup muffin tin filled w/ cupcake liners, about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (mine were done at 20).
- When finished, transfer cupcakes to cooling rack & prepare frosting my mixing all ingredients until creamy. When cool, pipe or slather frosting onto cupcakes!