This week I am going to share with you a recipe in honor of Valentine’s Day. This vegan and gluten-free chocolate nut butter and banana sandwich is incredible. As you might know Nutella is a spread which they have in England. It is a chocolate nut spread made with hazelnuts. We decided to make our spread with toasted pecans instead and my mom just made up the recipe.
Once the chocolate spread was made we put it between two pieces of bread and added banana and ta-da there is your chocolate nut spread sandwich.
Because this was for Valentine’s Day my mom decided to cut the two pieces of bread into a heart shape. At my school we have this thing where on Valentine’s Day we have a Valentines exchange and each student gets a handmade Valentine from one other person. We just made our Valentines and mine is really good. I made it for a person who likes football and it has Rams stuff on it.
Speaking of football, how did you like the super bowl? Were you a Patriots fan, or was Atlanta your team? How did you treat the Patriots comeback? 31 unanswered points and they scored on five straight possessions! I like New England, and what about Julius Edelman’s catch off the leg of the Falcon defender or Julio Jones’s catch on the sideline?! It was an exciting game. Reliving this is making me hungry again.
So back to the sandwich.
As soon as the bread touched my mouth, I knew me and this lovely thing would always be together in thought. I decided to savor it. Somewhere between when I picked up the sandwich and put it to my mouth I decided I could taste the sandwich better if I ate it in bigger bites. In two chomps the sandwich was gone. The chocolate and banana went really well with the bread, and it was sort of sturdy and delicate at the same time. Sturdy for a sandwich but delicate compared to other things. Anyway, I enjoyed it so much I want to share the recipe with you. I don’t think you can go wrong making a chocolate nut butter and banana sandwich. I think you will enjoy this and it is an easy and really fun treat to make for Valentine’s Day.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- gluten free bread
- 1/2 banana
- Dry toast the pecans on medium high heat on the stove until lightly toasted, shaking the pan throughout so as not to burn, approximately 2-3 minutes
- Let nuts cool slightly and then add to a blender or food processor
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate chips
- Add melted chocolate to the blender or food processor along with the nuts and blend together
- Let chocolate nut butter cool to desired temperature in the refrigerator while preparing the sandwich
- Cut the bread into heart shape
- Slice the banana and place on one side of the bread
- Spread the chocolate nut butter on the other side of the bread
- Place bread slices together...and enjoy!