I’m not a soup fan. Usually when we have soup, I am not that excited. This time, though, was different. This soup pulled me in like a magnet does to a piece of metal. I haven’t done many soup recipes and usually soup isn’t my thing but the creamy taste of this mushroom soup made my eyes roll right up into my head because my eyes bulged out. It looked so good, the next thing that probably would have happened was my eyes were going to pop out of their sockets.
I usually also have croutons in my soup. They’re gluten free, of course. Anyway, one night while we were eating soup, my mom said, ” Why do you guys always have to have croutons in your soup or salad?” And I said something I don’t remember about how they were really good and I liked them a lot. Then my mom said, “croutons are just basically oily bread.” My brother and I laughed so hard I don’t think we were able to eat our dinner without choking over with laughter in fits at least twice. Now when we have soup, I say,” Mom, can we have oily bread cubes in our soup?!!
So I ended up having croutons in my soup along with all the good ingredients in this soup: chopped garlic, onion, mushrooms, coconut milk, vegetable broth and thyme from our garden. I was practically drooling over the mushroom soup as it met my eyes. The soup was creamy and the crunchy croutons made a good balance. I finished my soup quickly. I will be excited the next time I eat it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!!
- 2 Cups vegetable broth
- 2 Cups coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 20 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- lots of fresh thyme, to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cook the diced onion on medium high heat in the olive for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and stir frequently for one minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and coconut milkand bring to a boil and then to a simmer.
- Add in sliced mushrooms, thyme and black pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Remove 1/3 of the mushrooms and other goodies and set aside.
- With an immersion blender or a blender, blend the remainder of the soup until creamy.
- Add the chunky mushrooms and goodies back in.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer again for 5-10 minutes to allow all the flavors to blend together.